A lot has happened since the last time I have posted, so first I want to apologize for not keeping you up to date of our situation. We have been so busy packing and moving and in this post will explain where we are now.
At the moment as I am writing this post I am over looking Millennium Park from downtown Chicago from the 19th floor of the Aqua building from our new apartment. Most of our belongings are in a pod in Des Moines waiting to be delivered next spring to our farm when we plan to move to Iowa to start building our home.We have moved to the apartment because we have a new contract on our home and are supposed to close next Friday. I say supposed to close because now that we are here it looks like the deal is in danger of falling through. This has been quite the ordeal selling our home and if we knew it would all turn out this way we would have waited until next spring to sell our home, because this has all been very stressful.
As you recall from my last post, we have had one deal fall through because of the buyers financing and as soon as we put the home on the market the very next people who saw the place put an offer on it and the way it looks now this one may fall through because of the appraisal of our home. The appraisal came in 11,000 less than our agreed upon contract price.
To me this looks like we are trying to be scammed here. The buyers are getting a FHA loan and their mortgage person has waited until the last moment to order the appraisal. The appraiser who appraised our home has only had her license for one month and used comparable homes that have sold recently in our area that are 600 sq ft smaller than ours. We had asked for a new appraisal and all they did was have the same women who did the original appraisal do it again, and she raised the amount 2000. This is still unacceptable to us and we have countered again and now are waiting for a response from the buyers. To tell you the truth we are about to cancel this deal and to start again. We will take our chances that the next buyers will have a more favorable appraisal. We know our house is worth what we are asking, the market tells us it is. The very first people who come to look at it put in offers so we know it will sell again, it just might be a few months now that the holidays are upon us.
I also may have to put off retirement until the house sells because we can’t afford to be paying our house note, property taxes and the new apartment with me on my railroad pension and that sucks the most.
I guess we will see what happens, so stay tuned.